Author Topic: TunerPro AFR doesn't match WBo2 or is always 0 AFR  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
TunerPro AFR doesn't match WBo2 or is always 0 AFR
« on: March 29, 2007, 03:09:08 pm »
3 Main reasons this happens is:

1) My Actual AFR in TunerPro ALDL is always 0 AFR.  You haven't selected a sensor in the Bin yet. 

2) My Actual AFR is off by 1 or isn't even close.  You have the wrong sensor selected or multiple sensors select in the Wideband sensor selection.  Here is what happens if you have more than one selected.
;   Bit 0 : DIY / TechEdge v1.0 Sensor (Nonlinear Output)
;   Bit 1 : FJO (Nonlinear Output)
;   Bit 2 : AEM Nonlinear Output
;   Bit 3 : TechEdge v2.0 (Linear Output)  [AFR = (Volts * 2) + 9]
;   Bit 4 : PLX Linear Output [AFR = (Volts * 2) + 10]
;   Bit 5 : Innovate Linear Output [AFR = (Volts * 2) + 10]
;   Bit 6 : AEM Linear Output  [AFR = (Volts * 2) + 10]
;   Bit 7 : Zeitronix (Nonlinear Output)
;   
;   It is important to select only one bit in this configuration word.  If more than
;   one bit is set, the software will choose the "first" sensor it sees.  The bit
;   precedence is : 7, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.  I.e. if bits 7 and 4 are set, the software
;   will select bit 7 (Zeitronix).  If bits 1 and 5 are set, the software will select
;   bit 1 (FJO).  If none of the bits are set, the software will not attempt to read
;   the voltage at F14.  The ALDL variable will indicate 0 AFR.

3) My Actual AFR is off by less than 1.0 - This is mostly caused by a bad ground on the wideband controller.  Make sure it is grounded in the same spot as the ECM.  Also if you have a WBlin+ and a WBLin-, make sure the WBLin+ is on the F14 pin on the ECM and WBLin- is on the B9 pin on the ECM.  Once all those are in place correctly, you AFR should be within .1 AFR.  The AFR is usually off now because the Guage updates faster than the value in the ALDL Stream.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:55:40 pm by Paul »
Paul Schwab
Code 59 Tester
Code 59 XDF and ADS Code Monkey
93 Black/Black Typhoon #424
93 White/White Typhoon #454 - Bought the one that started it all for me back.

Offline SBNova

Re: TunerPro AFR doesn't match WBo2 or is always 0 AFR
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:12:07 am »
I just wanted to add that sync'ing your wide band reading into TunerPro is vital to the operation of closed loop wideband. Since I have had so many problems keeping my Zeitronix sync'd I thought I would share my method.

At an idle, I force open loop using the "Temperature for closed loop enable" set at 150 degrees C. This stabilizes the actual AFR since the ECM isnt trying to adjust it. Then I open my WB software, and set its screen size so I can see both the actual AFR TP value and the WB software value. I open the WB scaling window and get ready to adjust. Then I adjust the VE #'s while running at idle to achieve an entry into the WB scale. As an example- 2.66v = 13.7 AFR. Usingthe VE table to force an actual AFR of 13.7, I then read the WB software's reading and re-enter that into the 2.66v field. Do this for a few values, and smooth them in between or just keep forcing and adjusting until both readings match. Use caution idling and extreme rich or lean conditions. I try to work fast, then return to normal idle values and let things normalize before resuming.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 10:57:48 am »
What SBNova is refering to when put X value in the 2.66v section of the table is, the AEM Nonlinear Table has 33 data entry points that you can edit for a sensor that isn't on the list or supported by one of the formulas.  That table can be customized to fit any WBo2 sensor out there.   You just enter in the AFR number that the sensor will output for the volts listed in the table and then you can use your sensor with Code59.  You will need to use the Full XDF and not the Simple one to edit this table.
Paul Schwab
Code 59 Tester

Offline john

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:36:25 pm »
Originally posted by Paul

3 Main reasons this happens is:

1) My Actual AFR in TunerPro ALDL is always 0 AFR.  You haven't selected a sensor in the Bin yet.  

2) My Actual AFR is off by 1 or isn't even close.  You have the wrong sensor selected or multiple sensors select in the Wideband sensor selection.  Here is what happens if you have more than one selected.
;   Bit 0 : DIY / TechEdge v1.0 Sensor (Nonlinear Output)
;   Bit 1 : FJO (Nonlinear Output)
;   Bit 2 : AEM Nonlinear Output
;   Bit 3 : TechEdge v2.0 (Linear Output)  [AFR = (Volts * 2) + 9]
;   Bit 4 : PLX Linear Output [AFR = (Volts * 2) + 10]
;   Bit 5 : Innovate Linear Output (1V - 2V)  [AFR = Volts * 10]
;   Bit 6 : AEM Linear Output  [AFR = (Volts * 2) + 10]
;   Bit 7 : Zeitronix (Nonlinear Output)

i happened to notice the listing here for the innovate wideband is different than the one posted over here.

http://www.code59.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=589

which one would it use?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:42:28 pm »
Originally posted by j91z28d1n2o

i happened to notice the listing here for the innovate wideband is different than the one posted over here.

http://www.code59.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=589

which one would it use?

My mistake.  We updated the Innovative formula and I never updated this thread to show the correct forumla of [AFR = (Volts * 2) + 10] for Innovative.

So the link you have listed above is correct.  I updated this post with the correct formula.
Paul Schwab
Code 59 Tester

Offline Phil Press

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:30 pm »
I have the innovative wb and set the values in set-up to the values specified here or on SyTy forum. My problem is afr in tunerpro reads 10 -20 like it should but the gage I have mounted reads from 7.4 - 22.4. Does this mean its lean when the gage shows 14.7? and how do I get it to read 10-20 like the ecm sees?

Phil

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 09:28:09 am »
Does the current gauge reading match what is in tunerpro?
Jeff Scott
code 59 Admin
www.jsmanufacturing.com
\'92 Ty #1295
350 V8 SBC
Twin Gt35 Turbo\'s
84# Injectors
Running Code59 of course

Offline Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 09:46:53 am »
More than likily the guage will read a wider range than what the linear output will.  My TechEdge Wideband o2 does this same thing.  It will go down to 6 afr and up to 45 AFR on the guage but only output 9 afr to 19 afr into Tunerpro. As long as what the guage is displaying when in that range matches what is in Tunerpro, then it is nothing to worry about.  Just your external guage will read a little wider range than it's linear output will give Tunerpro.
Paul Schwab
Code 59 Tester